Lake Wyangan Public School

Respect - Responsibility - Care - Do Your Best

Telephone02 6962 3217

Parents, carers and the community

As a parent or carer, you are an important part of our school community. We offer a range of services to support you and your family.

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

Our Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C) is made up of parents and carers, teachers and community members. The P&C meets regularly to contribute to decision-making, developing policies and management plans as well as fundraising.

The P&C also raises funds that help finance improvements to our school and provide additional resources.

Lake Wyangan Public School P&C meetings generally occur twice a term on a Tuesday evening. Please call the office or check your latest newsletter for the next meeting date. Anyone who wishes to be positively involved in the school is encouraged to come along to P&C meetings and will undoubtedly find a warm welcome.

How to contribute ideas?

The following document illustrates how and when planning occurs at Lake Wyangan Public School. Staff and School community who wish to contribute with ideas, changes, improvements and enhancements would benefit from understanding the timing of planning and opportunities that are provided.  

School Planning Cycle (doc, 46 KB)

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – an advice and information service. 1300 1300 52.

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.